[Papyrus-L] Alternatives to Papyrus

O'Brien, Mark mark.o'brien at rspb.org.uk
Mon Aug 18 10:28:19 EDT 2008

I transferred my 3,500 papyrus records to Zotero a few months back, just to see how it compared.
No real problems with the transfer - except that, so far as I'm aware, Zotero doesn't support beyond the standard ASCII character set. So, lots of funny symbols replaced the familiar Scandinavian/Eastern European author names present in Papyrus. Some references (esp from the 'others' category) didn't seem to go across very well, unsurprisingly. Also, error messages about the process not completing (see below) resulted in me inputting in blocks of 500 references at a time which seemed to please Zotero much more.

I find that loading up the 3,500 records each time you want to access Zotero is quite time-consuming. Going into Zotero once you are in Firefox isn't something I'd do unless I really planned to use it. The delay prompts Firefox/Zotero(dunno which) to send an error message stating that the process isnt completing. Tell it to carry on and all turns out ok.

Importing references from Google Scholar was the main draw for me - very easy and simple to do, including attaching abstracts as a notes page. That bit was great - although again an extended ASCII character set doesn't appear to be supported by Google Scholar.

Setting tags (keywords in Papyrus) is, however, a real chore. It takes an inordinate amount of time to register each tag each time you set it (you have to set each tag in turn - not multiple tags in the way Papyrus allows) such that you really don't want to do more than the minimal amount. Here Papyrus scores so much better.

Putting references into (Word) documents, and drawing up the bibliographic list was simple. I used the standard output rather than attempting to write my own journal-specific one. The latter does seem to be feasible - although the Xotero Forum indicated there also seems to be one or two folk who can do this when requested - never did work out how well that worked. You've then of course got the hassle of a) reconverting the gobbledygook into accents, umlauts, etc - and if you're that concerned, set the extra text for those references imported direct from Google Scholar to Zotero.

As has been mentioned elsewhere Zotero is rapidly developing and so some of the issues that I've raised above may already have been resolved and/or some of my issues may just be ignorance on my part and I'm doing Zotero a disservice. However, there was enough to worry me about converting entirely. I'm now using Zotero as a rapid bibliographic capture mechanism and transferring a subset of the most useful references from Zotero to Papyrus where I can use the extra search keyword capacity and extended character set to avoide irritating some of my continental colleagues!.

Hope that helps