[Papyrus-L] Migration from Papyrus

Rodgers, John R. jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu
Mon Jul 9 11:32:54 EDT 2007

Dear Papyrus users

I downloaded Citation last night and figured out how to migrate my 60,000-record database into it. This came via Endnote, so I don't know how hard it is to convert directly from Papyrus (the directions for EndNote were a little confusing but they worked, and the directions for Papyrus seem easier).

Yes- it allows for multiple notecards, which seem easy to use. You can search note cards separately. Not sure you can search records and note cards simultaneously.
The search engine might be a little faster than Endnote, but not nearly as fast as Papryus.
I'm not sure that you can convert existing note cards from Papyrus -of course one loses the note cards entirely if you go to EndNote.
The search logic for Citation is crummier than EndNote, which was a long step down from Papyrus. It allows you to use only two fields simultaneously. I haven't tried out wild-cards yet. But unlike EN, the manual says you can create what I imagine is the equivalent of Papyrus' GROUPS, so that
perhaps you can search within a group.

Citation does allow you to insert links to URL, other files such as pdf, probably images. There isn't aren't separate fields for these as there are in EN, so it isn't clear to me how you can sort for a record that has a pdf, for example.

Citation interacts on the Word toolbar. It claims it can handle WordPerfect and other formats:
"If you are using Word or WordPerfect Citation assumes that you have the document containing the Access Keys open as the current document, and that you want to write your intext citations and references to the current document.

If you are not using either of these word processors, Citation will scan a closed file on your disk. This file can be in rtf format, Word Perfect document format, html, or a text file. "

-john Rodgers

> the humanities who have been using Papyrus primarily for 1) organizing

> research notes/quotes and 2) formatting footnotes and bibliographies

> in articles or books created as Word documents.

Kathleen,

I assume that you are writing about this software:
http://www.citationonline.net/citationinfo.asp

Did you test Bibliographix Jürgen Laakmann was mentioning?
http://home.mybibliographix.com/
The program was recommended in a leadinga german computer magazine recently:
http://www.heise.de/ct/inhverz/search.shtml?T=bibliographix&Suchen=suchen&nm=0

Regards

M.