[Papyrus-L] Endnote

Alastair Currie ACurrie at hortresearch.co.nz
Thu Apr 12 16:52:22 EDT 2007

Hi John,

I too have had to reluctantly make the switch to Endnote (because that
is what our institute uses) and agree with you that many of the features
of Papyrus are not there. However, there are some features that Papyrus
did not have that compensate, like the ability to store a PDF of the
paper with the reference. Keyword manipulation is not as straightforward
as Papyrus but you can do it with 2 functions:
"Edit", "Change text" and specifying the keywords field and
"References", "Change or move fields" for inserting new keywords
These can be done globally or on the current search group.

Searches take only a fraction of a second for a database of 5000, but it
might be different with very large databases.

Papyrus is becoming obsolete and most of us will all have to make the
change sooner or later. Endnote is a reasonable option.

Regards,
Alastair
Dr Alastair Currie
Scientist - Plant breeding
HortResearch Kerikeri
P. O. Box 23
Kerikeri
New Zealand
ph +64-9-407 4813
fax +64-9-407 9632
www.hortresearch.co.nz

> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:42:51 -0500

> From: "Rodgers, John R." <jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu>

> Subject: Re: [Papyrus-L] Migration from Papyrus

> To: <borgemc at comcast.net>, "Papyrus Discussion List"

> <papyrus-l at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com>

> <807111E286B3E1488EF8510479E087F9D880A5 at BCMEVS7.ad.bcm.edu>

> I've migrated to Endnote very reluctantly. I did it to

> interface with co-authors who use it, and because I needed to

> know it well enough to teach using it to graduate students.

> You can use keywords but they do not have the wonderful

> feature of Papyrus that they are indexed separately, and can

> be edited as universal keywords. Endnote has a "fill-in"

> feature that will search its own working list for keywords

> that start with the same letters, but you cannot do extremely

> valuable tasks such as merging keywords, or perform a global delete.

> Endnote is very slow in searching compared to Papyrus

> (probably because it doesn't index) and its Boolean

> capabilities are crude at best and sometimes actually fail

> inexplicably.

> What really should happen in all this is that someone

> should take David's basic engine and covert it to Windows or

> Java. I suspect his indexing feature is the genius kernel

> that drives most of we lose when we go to another package,

> and all we gain are those necessary cosmetic touches. I'd go

> back to Papyrus in a flash. I do understand that the market

> forces are difficult.

> John R. Rodgers, Ph.D.

> Department of Immunology

> Baylor College of Medicine

> Houston, Texas 77030

> 713-798-3903

> fax: 713-798-3700

The contents of this e-mail are privileged and/or confidential to the
named recipient and are not to be used by any other person and/or
organisation. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender and delete all material pertaining to this e-mail.