[Papyrus-L] Running Papyrus on Windows XP Professional v. 2002

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 24 16:38:15 EST 2006

On 24-Jan-06, at 3:00 PM, Derek B. Cornish wrote:

> Bill -
>
> Just in case...
>
> Don't use the PIF file you had on WIN98. It probably won't work
> properly.
> Make a new shortcut by right-clicking on pap.exe; then drag it to the
> desktop. My pif works for me, on a Thinkpad A31 with XP SP2. Of
> course,
> getting it running is only the first step :-).
>
> Derek

That's not the best way to transfer Papyrus databases.  Indeed, I
don't think the designers intend you to rebuild index.bib in that
way.  Instead, use the backup-restore feature (using bb files); each
bb file is no more than 300 k (which corresponds to a VERY old
version of floppy disks) and will fit easily onto floppies.  So, from
your desktop Dell, open Papyrus, go to the utility menu and create
backup files.  There will be a series of them, depending upon the
size of your data set.  Copy ALL of the bb files to floppies and then
to your laptop, in the papyrus directory.  Open Papyrus on the
laptop, and go to the utility menu Restore from backups.  That will
wipe out your old data set and replace it with the new one.  That's
how we manage our research group - one 'live' version incorporates
all changes; backups are put on the server in a folder called "most
recent backups" and then users download and update.  Hope this helps.
Raisa

>> It was my plan to rebuild Index.bib from the other .bib
>> files, but I find that all of the executable files give me an
>> error message saying, in effect, "Can't run 16 bit program.
>> Check your .PIF file."  I have tried  the Windows XP
>> compatibility wizard with Windows 98 (and 95) selected, but
>> still the same result. Also, I found a Papyrus .PIF file but
>> I get the same message when I try to open it.
>>
>> The Papyrus Status Report of January 2004 says Papyrus 7.0
>> can be run under Windows 2000 or Windows XP, as well as many
>> other operating systems. Can someone help me get Papyrus
>> working on my laptp?
>>
>> Bill L.  email w.t.l.jr at juno.com

Raisa Deber, PhD
Professor, Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
Director, M-THAC (From Medicare to Home and Community) Research Unit
(www.m-thac.org)
Health Sciences Building
155 College Street Suite 425
Toronto, ON  M5T 3M6