[Papyrus-L] Special letters and Win XP

Brammer, Frederik FPBrammer at snm.ku.dk
Sun Dec 11 18:10:20 EST 2005

Dear John, Raisa and José,

"When you use a special character in Pap does it show up there, or is it being lost when you move to a word processor."

I have now discovered that when I list a set of references in Word for Windows format, all special characters except õ (can you read it? It is an 'o' with a so-called tilde above, used in Portuguese) come out correctly, even though they are shown incorrectly inside Papyrus! So at least all my >10,000 references from the old computer are still with the correct characters (The problem with o-tilde was the same on my Win 98 / Word 97 machine; I never found out how to solve it, but it was also so small that I could easily live with it).

"Fred, I suspect the issue is the default font you've installed, and how it handles special characters. "

What exactly do you mean? Installed in Papyrus, or installed in Windows XP?
What can I do about it?

Can anybody tell me what unicode is? Does unicode have anything to do with code page, and with my Pap/XP problem?

"I use Papyrus in a Portuguese "environment" within Windows XP. It seems to me that the problem in generating (typing) diacritics relates to keyboard and/or language configuration of your Windows environment (of course, I am assuming your previous Win98 was somehow setup in such way)."

Oh boy. I have a Danish keyboard, and my XP is in English. Anyway, I am sure you must be right, and will try to mess around with these things! Is your keyboard also Portuguese?

"If you get help to setup the proper configuration, you'll be able to generate (depending on the kind of keyboard you're using) the letter "e" with an accent, simply by typing the sequence "'" and "e", for example. Similar procedure would apply to several other cases, such as "a" with "^" over it, etc.."

Yes, these are the ways I typed all such diacritics on my old machine, except, I think, c-cedilla, which is not on the keyboard, but easy enough to copy over from Word (no clipboard difficulties..!). Actually, I can type a few diacritics (â, ê, ô, æ, å, ñ, Ñ), but not á, é, í, ó, ú, ã, õ, ø, etc.

So can anyone tell me how to set up the correct configuration (default font, keyboard, language of the XP environment, unicode, etc)?

Thanks very much (so far) for your ideas,

Frederik