[Papyrus-L] Use Papyrus in Linux

dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 23 09:31:23 EST 2005

Hello Jeanette,

Quoting Jeannette Gorrin <jgorrin at ccnt-spain.com>:

>> Hi:
>>
>> We are working in a project, where we migrate a software from
>> Machintosh to Linux. In this software we are using Papyrus 3.0 and
>> as far as i know Papyrus doesn't have Linux version. If we compile
>> Unix version in a Linux environment, are we going to have many
>> problems?
>> i explain myself, Is it possible to use Unix version to be compiled
>> in Linux?

Papyrus 3.0 eh?   I wonder if we are talking about the same "Papyrus"?   I am
aware of Papyrus 3.0 which is a file format used in the neuroimaging world,
related to the DICOM 3 format.

If not, and we are talking about Papyrus the citation software, then
there is a
DOS version (which runs under Windows) and a MAC version but not a Linux
version.   Several of us on this list did ask Dave Goldman the originator of
Papyrus if he would consider open-sourcing or otherwise releasing source code
to those of us who felt motivated to produce a Linux version but for several
reasons, including technical, this was not feasible.

However if you would like to run Papyrus-for-DOS in Linux there are several
possibilities, none of which I have tried!   The first would be Crossover
Office with which I have had splendid success for Windows-only programmes,
getting them to run in an otherwise Linux environment.  VMware would be
another
choice, running genuine DOS in a VMware session.   DOSemu (DOS emulator) also
comes to mind.   Look on Sourceforge (www.sourceforge.org) for example, for
more inspirations.

And if you were thinking in terms of neuroimaging, feel free to contact me
off-list and I may be able to suggest a direction in which to go for viewers,
etc.

Kind regards,
Denis