[Papyrus-L] examples of published plagiarisms

John Rodgers jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu
Sun Feb 6 12:12:56 EST 2005

Dear Listers,
   an unusual subject for our group:  I'm preparing the syllabus for a
course in Scientific Writing and would like to include examples of
published plagiarisms. I want my students to analyze these examples, so the
more examples, the better.  I have several recent examples from a
field  _outside_ this List topic, but would like further examples.  To
avoid embarassing colleagues or living persons-  you could respond to me
iydirectly at
jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu

         I am aware that outside the sciences there has been a cottage
industry in "exposing" literary plagiarisms.  While I find these
interesting, I am more interested in examples in the professional
literature- journal articles.   These might range from whole-sale
plagiarisms of unattributed texts to "unprofessional paraphrasing", to more
subtle examples of cribbed citations, or mis-attributed ideas.  Of greatest
value to me are the "sciences" but I have a wide appetite.

      This group is self-selected for persons obsessed with citation
issues- so I have high hopes!

  Thank you,
    John

John R. Rodgers, PhD