[Papyrus-L] wordperfect cite workaround /observations about Word versions in the XP environment

John Rodgers jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Jun 16 21:29:22 EDT 2004

Dear Listers,
    this may be old hat to some of you.
A.   I decided to return to WordPerfect for my next big writing project,
after about a year using little but Word.  But now I'm in an XP
environment, where I can't get the cite function to work through the
clipboard or through the Mark Thissen's Papref program.

Here's what I got to work.
1. tell Papyrus to use c:\papref.txt instead of the clipboard
2. make this Macro:
Application (WordPerfect; "WordPerfect"; Default!; "EN")
FileInsert (Filename: "C:\PAPREF.TXT"; AutoDetect: No!)

(File, insert c:\papref.txt, close)

3. save the macro in the root directory so it has a short path name, such
as " c:\ic.wcm"  (insert citation)
4. place a macro on your macro toolbar with FULL PATH NAME (which is why
you want a short pathname).
5.  Clicking this macro now will insert the reference wherever desired.

comments:
1. unlike Word, WP doesn't claim rights to every file it has every touched
that session, so Papyrus can re-write to papref.txt
2.  you need to use full path name.  It seems that otherwise WP (I'm using
version 11) sets up temporary files for invoked macros- and this macro
doesn't work properly - it just opens c:\papref.txt but doesn't copy the
data or close it)
3. even so, XP is slow as  molasses in January in switching between DOS
windows and XP windows, so it is a pain in the neck.

B.  Word97 freezes every once in a while when I'm working, so I prefer to
use Word 2003, the other one available, which seems pretty stable.  But the
Word 2003 seems not to understand RTF very well, and Papyrus can't
understand its Wordese.   So I write in Word 2003, using Notepad to handle
citations through c:\papref.txt.  Then I close, and re-open the document in
Word97, then close again as .doc file (not RTF).  This file Papyrus can
handle, and I can open the output in Word97 afterwords.

-John Rodgers

John R. Rodgers, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Immunology