[Papyrus-L] Open Sourcing Papyrus?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sun Mar 14 16:41:08 EST 2004

Dear Anton,

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Anton Callaway wrote:

> Are there any plans to release the Papyrus source code under a GNU, BSD,
> or other open lisence?
>
> It is such excellent software already, that it seems like it would be a
> nice way to keep it current.

Several users including myself asked about this quite some time ago
because it does seem like a good idea and as you say it is an EXCELLENT
piece of software.   I have the reply from Dave on file (at the office)
and I can dig it up if necessary but in summary, there was a desire,
understandably, to maintain the intellectual propety and the code, arising
from Digital's VMS days and ported to DOS/MAC was highly complex.

I imagine that another and non-trivial aspect would be that if the code
was to go Open Source it would potentially create headaches for the
support staff trying to resolve "errors" caused by unwitting code
modifications in sensitive areas of the code - I mean no offence there to
OS programmers, I can see it from the delevopers' POV.

Hope this helps and I'm sure if the situation changes we will be kept
informed.
Cheers,
Denis