[Papyrus-L] more on XP - troubleshooting clipboard/Word - experiments with NotePad

Lisa Campbell lcampbell at ocean.tamu.edu
Mon Jan 19 12:44:37 EST 2004

I have no problem with papref or PAP under XP (although XP is extremely
frustrating overall).
Did you put PAP in its own directory under c:\-- i.e. NOT in Program Files?
You have to be administrator to alter files in the Program Files directory.

At 09:17 AM 1/19/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Denis,
>    Under XP I tried making a file in NotePad, saving it as a text file
> as  c:\test.txt.
>Then I imported it into Word as if it were a papyrus citation.
>   This works fine the first time through.
>Now- try to update and save the NotePad file- you can't save it, but you
>get an error message telling you so.  Papyrus simply doesn't know about
>the error message.
>
>If I SAVE the Word file, NotePad can go forward.  This replicates the
>whole shebang,  I think.  Word, probably through its UNDO function, is
>keeping rights to a document until it is saved.  UNDO is a pretty useful
>function, so I wouldn't want to turn it off while editing.  The simple
>device of saving your Word document after a citation paste solves the
>problem (right now at least! :))
>-john
>
>At 10:42 PM 1/19/2004 +0800, you wrote:
>>Dear John,
>>
>>On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, John Rodgers wrote:
>>
>> > I've got Word97 also.  I haven't tried this under later versions.
>> >    -john
>> >
>>You have me intrigued!   So I just conducted a test on my Win NT4
>>machine with Word from Office97.   Seems to release the file just fine.
>>Here's what I tried:
>>a) Create a simple file in NotePad, save it and close NotePad.
>>b) Open Word, create a new document and insert text from the above file.
>>c) Leaving Word open, once again fire up NotePad, call up the simple text
>>doc and add more text - saved and closed without problem.
>>d) Insert the updated file into Word without complaint!
>>
>>Suggests that this may be an XP problem, don't you think?   Not that much
>>can be done about it if so :-(   Maybe the demo above does not replicate
>>all that is happening in a true setup?
>>
>>Cheers,

>> the Word

Dr. Lisa
Campbell                                                        office:
    979-845-5706
Associate Professor of Oceanography and Biology         lab:    979-862-7664
Department of Oceanography                              FAX:    979-845-6331
3146 TAMU
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-3146
http://oceanography.tamu.edu