[Papyrus-L] Papyrus under Partition Magic/Commander etc?

John R. Rodgers jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Nov 5 11:14:55 EST 2003

Larry,
   Let me see if I understand: you run XP to download references from the
web etc and install them in Papyrus. You then reboot into Win98 to use the
clipboard.  I don't understand why you reboot back into XP to use the word
processor.  Can you compose in Win98, with repetitive exchanges through the
clipboard from Pap and the W.P?  It sounded like you had to reboot after
each use of the clipboard? surely I misunderstood!

  What would be nice is a way to run a different operating system
simultaneously, as if we could multi-task under Windows!  But XP might
still have problems with those files.  Does anyone understand the actual
problem with the XP clipboard?  Perhaps some guru could write a resident
fix for that, the way Marc Thissen wrote the Papref program, which I still
use all the time!
   -John

At 11:03 AM 11/5/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Message text written by INTERNET:papyrus-l at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
>>Dear Papyrus community,
>    Has anyone tried using a partitioning program such as Partition Magic
>or Partition Commander to try to operate Papyrus?  It seems to me the only
>serious limitation to using Papyrus under Windows XP is the file-sharing
>problem when using the Clipboard.  But running lower versions of Windows on
>new machines means loss of functionality, such as access to USB ports, etc.
>One solution might be to run two versions of Windows simultaneously.  I've
>not tried these partitioning programs, but they seem to promise file
>sharing etc between partitions.
>
>   -John Rodgers<
>
>John:
>
>Yes, I ran into this problem last year when I bought a new computer running
>XP. Papyrus runs perfectly well under XP with the exception of the vital
>function you mentioned. I had been reading submissions to this discussion
>group about difficulties with importation of Papyrus data into the various
>Windows-compatible programs. I have almost 13,000 references entered in
>Papyrus and didn't want to risk trying to import them. But the ability to
>do a search in Papyrus and write citations to the Windows clipboard is very
>important. I ended up buying a copy of Partition Magic and a copy of
>Windows 98. I installed Win98, Papyrus, and my word-processing program in
>a small partition on my hard drive (which XP sees as a separate drive).
>There is another very small partition (=drive) that carries a program (Boot
>Magic) allowing choice of booting up Win98 or XP upon starting (or
>restarting) the computer.
>
>Whenever I enter references into Papyrus, I use the XP drive, then copy the
>whole Pap file onto the Win98 drive (which overwrites the Pap already
>there). When I want to do a search and write to the clipboard, I quit XP
>and reboot, choosing the Win98 drive. After writing to the clipboard in
>Win98, I write the clipboard contents to a new file in my word-processing
>program, reboot (again) into XP, and copy that file from the Win98 drive
>onto the XP drive (drag and drop). All this rebooting is a nuisance, but it
>sure beats retyping all those references.
>
>Larry Roberts

John R. Rodgers, Ph.D
Assistant Professor,
Department of Immunology