[Papyrus-L] Problems with Citations using XP

Thomas Gill Thomas.Gill at ynhh.org
Wed Nov 20 07:24:40 EST 2002

Dave:

Thank you for this suggestion.  I agree with your interpretation of the
problem and proposed solution.  Unfortunately, when I try to run the
macro you suggested I get an error message indicating the the Insert
command (as noted below) is not recognized (in Word 97).  Because I
don't have a good working knowledge about Macro commands, I have been
trying to get some techinical assistance from our hospital help desk,
but so far to no avail.

Are there any macro users out there who might suggest a solution to
this problem?  I really would like to get the citation function of
Papyrus to work in my new XP environment.

Thanks,

Tom Gill

Tom Gill wrote (a couple of weeks ago):

>What I have been doing is using the insert file function in Word to
>paste the txt file into the document.  This has not been working as
>indicated in my earlier messages.  Is there an alternative strategy
for
>pasting the txt file into the document?

While PAPREF is probably the best way to go (unless it does not work
for
you, as is apparently Tom's case), here's alternative Word macro code
try instead of the .InsertFile command:

  Open "c:\pap\clip.txt" For Input As #1
  Line Input #1, reference$
  Close #1
  Insert reference$

This code opens the clip.txt file (as file "#1"), copies its first
(and
only) line of text into a variable named "reference$", closes the file,
and
then inserts the contents of reference$ into your manuscript.

My best guess is that when you tell Word to .InsertFile a file, it
incorrectly keeps that file open forever, thus preventing other
programs
(such as Papyrus) from altering the file's contents. The above code
explicitly closes the file immediately after reading its data, so it
should
avoid this problem.

-- Dave Goldman (dave at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com)

   Research Software Design            The PAPYRUS Bibliography System
   617 SW Hume Street
   Portland OR 97219-4458 (U.S.A.)     503-796-1368, fax 503-452-8920

   Technical Support: support at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
     Other Questions: info at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
                 Web: http://www.ResearchSoftwareDesign.com/

Thomas M. Gill, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
20 York Street, TMP 17B
New Haven, CT 06504
Phone: (203) 688-3344   Fax: (203) 688-4209
Email: gill at ynhh.org