[Papyrus-L] Switching from Papyrus

Heather Williams h.j.williams at pgr.salford.ac.uk
Tue Oct 29 14:40:39 EST 2002

Hi Tina,

I've recently converted from Papyrus to EndNote. Papyrus was fine until I switched
over to XP and from then on I experienced numerous problems.

I looked at EndNote, Biblioscape and Scholar's Aid and finally bought EndNote, which
I'm very pleased with so far.

I managed to transfer my 600 + refs with few problems following the instructions
recommended by someone on this list.  Can't lay my hands on the instructions just
now, but please ask if you need them and I'll look them up.  The refs just needed a
little 'tidying up' after.

I find the 'cite as you write' facility excellent.  It inserts citations and adds to the
reference list in one go.

I also like being able to scroll through all the references at once without having to go
through the 'search' and 'edit' functions.

I haven't yet used the online download facility, so can't comment on this function.

Must say though, that Papyrus was brilliant in its day and I still have all my old refs in it
as a back-up.

Good luck with your search.

Heather

On 29 Oct 2002 at 12:11, Tina Tincher wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I currently have 45,000 references in Papyrus.  I am running under
> Windows.  I really don't want to switch but I realize I must so I am
> looking for the least painful option.
>
> I have looked at a few of the more advertised products (Library Master,
> Biblioscape, Procite, Reference Manager).  It seems that some of the
> best products are the one's least advertised and I'm afraid I may miss a
> good option just because I don't know about it.
>
> I am wondering if there is anyone still on the list who has converted
> from Papyrus to a new software program?  I'm interested in finding out
> what programs you have tried and which ones are closest to Papyrus.
> Which ones convert Papyrus data easily?  Which ones do you really like?
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
> -Tina

Heather Williams
Research Fellow