[Papyrus-L] Re: Papyrus-L digest, Vol 1 #54 - 2 msgs

Annette Timm annette.timm at utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 5 12:22:58 EDT 2002

>From: John Rodgers <jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Papyrus-L] lost references
>

>Once I had a problem perhaps similar to this.  There were scattered recent
>references that would crash Papyrus when I tried to edit them. They would
>also crash the program if they were included in a search.  By trial and
>painful error I could identify them and delete them, and they would
>successfully delete, as I recall.

A hint for future reference:
I was having similar crash problems with some of my references, though
it never came to the point of actually losing references. I finally
figured out that the problem was being caused by notecard fields that
were overflowing their 8000 character limit. This had happened because I
had imported a bunch of citations (using Papx) with notecards attached.
I had not carefully made sure that the notecards were small enough, and
Papyrus allowed the import without complaint. Problems only arose when I
tried to open or manipulate these notecards in any way. Then the program
crashed. The problem was easily fixed either by deleting the whole
reference and reimporting or by deleting the text in the overflowing
Comments field (it would open long enough for me to do this) and
redistributing the notes.

Annette

--
 Annette F. Timm