[Papyrus-L] lost references

John Rodgers jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Jun 4 14:01:56 EDT 2002

Once I had a problem perhaps similar to this.  There were scattered recent
references that would crash Papyrus when I tried to edit them. They would
also crash the program if they were included in a search.  By trial and
painful error I could identify them and delete them, and they would
successfully delete, as I recall. But I finally decided to revert to a
backup, as the search and destroy missions were so time consuming.  I think
this happened when I was copying the data base to and from a zip drive
constantly; and there was some corruption that crept in.  When I exceeded
100 MB I switched to zipping the .bib file first before backing them up to
zip disks.  Never had the problem recur.   Now I am backing up using CDRW,
but I'm a little nervous...
  -john rodgers
At 08:35 AM 6/4/02 -0500, you wrote:

>I just realized that I have lost about 160 of my most recently entered
>references.  I don't doubt that it is my own fault, but I have no idea
>how I might have done this.  I talked with a fellow papyrus user for
>advice and he said the same thing happened to him about a year ago.  He
>also had no idea how it happened.
>
>I suppose there is no hope of recovering them. Any thoughts?
>

>Bob Blaisdell

John R. Rodgers, Ph.D
Assistant Professor,
Department of Immunology