[Papyrus-L] success! PAPYRUS to endnote

Oliver Floerl oliver.floerl at jcu.edu.au
Mon May 13 17:45:34 EDT 2002

Hi all,

after my several emails to the list and Dave about my troubles to export my
Papyrus 7.0.16c librarty into Endnote it has all been solved. Many of you will
remember this, as it triggered a 300-fold auto-reply....

[Anyway, I hasten to add that I'll remain a PAP-head; I am only running
Endnote on a computer on which I'm not supposed to install new software. (I
tried anyway, but despite me following all instructions given by Dave or the
RSD website it does not function properly in XP).]

Anyway, in my Papyrus database I had huge comments for each reference,
separated by many paragraphs (double carriage returns). Using the Papyrus-to-
Endnote .flb format one can FTP off the web did not work - it resulted in my
1070 references in Papyrus becoming several throusand more in Endnote, half of
them without authors, half without title. After getting Word to remove the d-
carriage returns I ended up with 4 references in Endnote, each with 300
authors (not unusual for those of us who read the journal "Science" every now
and then?).

I've now fixed the problem with the help of a guy at Endnote. You do NOT use
the format specified on the Papyrus website. You use another one called
RISOUT.TXT, and then import the file as RIS (Reference Manager) into Endnote.
That is quite different to what the traditional way is. And it works (seems to
anyway).

I don't know where you can get the RISOUT.flb file - anyone who wants it is
welcome to email me (perhaps not the List), or I suppose you could email
Endnote for it. I'm happy to fwd it though.

I will now press the "send" button. Let's hope no-one is out of the office.

Oli