[Papyrus-L] A Child King Process should be born!! Papyrus 7.5 for Win/Linux/etc?

Chris Wallace cwallace at science.adelaide.edu.au
Sat Dec 22 03:55:45 EST 2001

  Well, this year (and the annual 'silly season' ;) is almost over,
and as that ends with a pause to reflect and look to the coming year, i
feel the chance to think again what should not be allowed to pass!

   While the devotion evident on this list reflects RSD's superb
support effort, it's also an endorsement of the strong design, as
testified by the number standing by the ol' DOS-based program despite the
nuisances. I wonder if they would cry on seeing the similar beauty
and power of its lineage in Version 8 on the Mac. (Maybe as Mark Wilson
suggested, worth trying an emulator? Seems it's a serious exercise
 http://www.emaculation.com/articles/intro.html
but needn't be an expen$ive one..)
  Many Pap-ers certainly were and are prepared to put up to see such a
edition for their Windows and Linux desktops.

  Regrettably V8 was built using a (C++) interface framework (MacApp)
which Apple then abandoned their plans for taking across to Wintel boxes,
and now have left behind in their migration to MacOS X. Having fought and
sought a coalition to work around the former decision, it seems Dave
decided the latter made it time to 'throw in the towel'.

  But Dave said he was open to suggestions, and since so many have mooted
it, a concrete proposal that would renew Papyrus has to be made, rather
than let this all go to waste 8-(.
  That is to firstly attempt an open-source port of the GUI for opening a
database, searching (which includes displaying groups) and outputting
placeholders / references to the clipboard. This would work through an
interface to the object code manipulating the database, which would remain
proprietary and restricted (at least for some years). RSD would adapt the
latter to work with V7 databases, and sell the resulting solution for the
problems interacting with Win32 word processors, while thanking the
programmers with gratis copies.

   The momentum would hopefully be there to then similarly tackle two
further projects for importing + updating the database (so can break with
DOS and its character set restrictions altogether), and for processing
manuscripts.

    Though for net-savvy portability i would guess Java as the target
platform of choice, that and other technical discussions would be
determined by those interested, maybe on a Sourceforge list.
  I should note that i have spent plenty of time considering various
open source bibliography-related projects, but i couldn't find any useful
( http://freshmeat.net/search/?site=Freshmeat&q=bibliograph&section=projects
  , http://www.osdn.com/osdnsearch.pl?site=all&query=bibliograph )
synergies.

  Anyway, Merry Christmas [or appropriate solstice festival!] to you all,
and hope 2002 will be a better year in so many aspects,

   Chris Wallace
---
It would be naive to think that the problems plaguing mankind today can be
solved with means and methods which were applied or seemed to work in the
past. . .  -- Mikhail Gorbachev (1988)

When you cease to dream you cease to live. -- Malcolm S. Forbes

<a
href="http://online.adelaide.edu.au/doclib.nsf/Refs/Official_Email_Disclaimer">
Adelaide Uni's lawyers want you to know this, in case there's a problem. </a>

 We can do a lot in just minutes. </a>