[Papyrus-L] Important Papyrus news

Hugh Gunz hugh.gunz at utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 12 09:03:51 EDT 2001

I've had a quick look at some of the reviews (there's a useful template for
evaluating packages at www.burioni.it/forum/bfsres.htm, for example, and
another comparison table at
http://php.iupui.edu/~rsosborn/Scholars_Quest/References/Gathering/Reference_Tools/BibliographicSoftware.html).

The world looks depressingly like a monopoly run by ISI (who now own
ProCite, EndNote and Reference Manager). They have their own crude
comparison between the packages at
http://www.isiresearchsoft.com/rscompare.asp. You're forced to go to
Reference Manager if you follow the ISI route and have true networking
needs (i.e. several users needing to edit references simultaneously), but
there are others that can handle this (e.g. Library Master at
http://www.balboa-software.com/, although a quick look at that suggests a
number of limitations, in particular that it uses the Papyrus way of
converting document files: it scans the file to convert the codes, so that
(so far as I can tell from the documentation) the codes are lost and the
conversion can't be undone later).

The ISI stable seem to be an odd mixture of packages, each of which have
their good and bad points, but none of which seems to combine the good
points of all. EndNote is clearly very popular, but a quick look at it by
comparison with the other two suggested that it was rather more primitive.
That, of course, may be (as they say) A Good Thing.

Except that the need to do all this is clearly A Bad Thing. I, too, feel
badly let down, even though Dave, presumably, is feeling a whole lot worse.

Cheers
Hugh Gunz
University of Toronto