AW: AW: [Papyrus-L] Papyrus and Win2000

Hessling, Rene Hessling at biologie.uni-osnabrueck.de
Tue Aug 7 04:48:32 EDT 2001

Bob,

I am not quite sure I understand your suggestion. "Suspend" as I understand
it, is a power management option, that kicks in when the computer is not
used for a certain period of time. I don't see how this could help.

The problem I am dealing with is e.g. when I prepare a manuscript in Word I
have Papyrus running in the background to search and cite references with. I
need to switch back and forth between both applications. Word itself does
not use a whole lot of recourses (at least CPU time). Yet, Papyrus forces
100% CPU usage, which causes everything to heat up, which then gets the fan
going and so on.... all in all this breaks down my battery time to less than
50% compared to "just" using Word the whole time. BTW I tested this the same
situation with other DOS programs and the problem definitely just occurs
with Papyrus! The other programs must be "polling" the mouse and keyboard in
a different way. Perhaps it would be possible to disable the mouse in the
DOS box running Papyrus...

Rene

Dipl. Biol. Rene Hessling
Universitaet Osnabrueck