[Papyrus-L] Papyrus and Win2000

Dave Goldman, Research Software Design dave at rsd.com
Thu Aug 2 01:44:17 EDT 2001

Rene Hessling wrote:
>Papyrus (or better NTVDM.EXE) takes up about 97% of the CPU time! There must
>be a way to set priorities down a little or something.

Yes indeed: In the Properties dialog for your Papyrus shortcut icon, go to
the "Misc" tab. There, slide the "Idle sensitivity" indicator toward the
"High" end.

I can't recall right now why we have long been recommending an Idle
sensitivity setting of "Low". It probably had to do with maximizing the
performance of CPU-intensive Papyrus tasks such as importing. I trust that
if any of you discovers any unpleasant side effects of the "High" setting,
you will let us all know.

One would think that the Properties setting "Background: Always suspend"
would also have a beneficial effect on CPU resource usage when Papyrus is
not the foreground job, but in my experiments I haven't seen much effect
from this setting.

-- Dave Goldman (dave at rsd.com)              Research Software Design
   503/796-1368, fax 503-452-8920           617 SW Hume Street
   The PAPYRUS Bibliography System          Portland OR 97219-4458 (U.S.A.)

   Technical Support: support at rsd.com       Other Questions: info at rsd.com
                       WWW Site: http://www.rsd.com/