[Papyrus-L] Updating shared data base while retaining Notecards

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 11 19:23:25 EDT 2001

As part of a recent project grant which involves enough overlapping
references to make a common database worth while, we're setting up our
database for multiple users (mainly graduate students).  We're having one
central point for data entry and modification, and are moving towards a
common set of keywords.  We're using a series of LOCATED- and RESEARCHER-
keywords to help us know where the particular references are housed
(recognizing that we will probably have multiple LOCATED and RESEARCHER
entries for many of the files).  Whenever the database is modified, we do a
backup and place the .bb files on the server; everyone can then update
their database from the common files using restore from backup.  The
question which I suspect is about to arise is whether individual students
can maintain notecards (which do not need to be in the common dataset),
since the updating process would replace all entries.  Are there ways to
save the notecards and then re-merge them to the new file?  Any better ideas?
Thanks
Raisa Deber