[Papyrus-L] papyrus on a Palm

Valerie Porter porte030 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Mar 6 18:39:54 EST 2001

Does anyone know of anyway of downloading sections of the papyrus database
to a Palm pilot database?

I have a dream of going to the library with an electronic list, finding refs
quickly,  taking notes on the palm pilot, deleting references which turn out
to be junk etc.  The ultimate goal would be to be able to hot-sync that back
with the main database but now I really am dreaming. If any of the other
reference database programs could do this I would drop my beloved old DOS
based papyrus in a heartbeat.

I am thinking that the only way to do it would be first to copy the entries
to a Microsoft excel spreadsheet and then to download those 'Documents to
go' (a program I don't own yet) on the palm- has anybody tried this it
sounds very cumbersome.  I suppose if I was good enough at the input export
formats I could even theoretically get it to go backwards from the Palm to
excel and then to papyrus with all the changes, but that sounds like a lot
of work.

Let me know if anyone has tried anything like this.

Val

PS. I echo the cry for a windows based version and in no way wish to detract
from that as the primary goal for the software developers.

Valerie Porter
Assistant Professor
University of Minnesota