[Papyrus-L] Papyrus: Windows no longer a luxury to be waited for patiently

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 6 12:50:42 EST 2001

At 11:09 AM 06/03/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>BUT lets try to be realistic and define our needs clearly
>
>1.  There are many of us users out here who have large bibliographies that
>have been built up over numerous years. (I think mine goes back to Papyrus
>3)   The massive time investment needed to migrate that data to another
>bibliography program is probably the only REAL reason we havent moved already.

One reason, but not the only one, at least from my office.  Papyrus has
some wonderful features which most other packages don't seem to have. (I
particularly appreciate the licensing agreement - we're got a large number
of graduate students working with our Papyrus data set.  I also like the
wild card search and the "term" option, which means I don't have to
re-enter keywords already in titles; also the power of formats and the
ability to change and merge keywords.  But I'm also a sucker for the humour
of the manual and the sign off message)  There are a (very) few new
features I think we need - particularly the ability to follow paths and
include foreign character sets.  But the main problem is optics - "DOS"
turns too many off, who think they need Windows.  We all have to fight off
IT managers.   And if there will be a new version without the Windows
kernel, then we may suddenly find we can't use Papyrus at all.
Dave - I echo the comments you've been getting. We need a (rapid) timetable
towards a Windows version.  How can we help?  This is too good a program to
lose.
Cheers
Raisa Deber