[Papyrus-L] Papyrus: Windows a plea from the heart

Bicknell, David dbicknell at agric.wa.gov.au
Mon Mar 5 22:18:23 EST 2001

Hello to all you thinking bibliographers

To add my support and some suggestions for the updating of Papyrus:

We selected Papyrus because it is clearly the most rigorous program around
in the way it handles the fields on information, and can also (with some
twitching and scrabbling) handle imports and exports from such a range of
other sources.

However, we are now being pressured by those that demand a certain look and
feel, and also expect a certain ease of use. There are some wonderful
programs out there that give the expected usefulness. For instance, look at
the way Maximizer (a contacts manager amongst other things) integrates with
the word processor and has very flexible database design.

Is their some way of getting a user group to help fund the development? As I
have said to Dave before, we would be prepared to put some funding into
development, because we want to use Papyrus as a distribution mechanism for
selected reference databases, and we also want to use this to prepare
interactive web pages. Perhaps we can get the development by forming a
consortium of users/developers, and have a dispersed group of programmers
talking to each other to get the product that users want.

Regards
Dave B
David Bicknell
Senior Development Officer
Farm Forestry and Revegetation Project
Manager, Salinity Networks and Communication of Information Project
Agriculture Western Australia
10 Doney Street
Narrogin WA 6312
P 08 9881 0222; F 08 9881 1950; Mobile 0417 900 284