[NHRC-user] watch out for fraudulent spam

Jeff Otterson jeff at nhrc.net
Fri Mar 5 21:30:32 EST 2004

I have just intercepted a message sent to this list by persons unknown.

This message purports to be from "noreply at nhrc.net" and suggests that you
update your anti-virus software with the attachment.

We (NHRC LLC) are not in the anti-virus business and will never, ever, send
executable programs out on our email list.

Here's what the message looks like:

----
  Hello user of  Nhrc.net e-mail  server,

Our  antivirus software has detected  a large ammount of  viruses outgoing
from  your email account, you may  use  our free anti-virus tool  to clean up
your computer software.

For details see the  attach.

Have  a good day,
     The Nhrc.net team                             http://www.nhrc.net

---

Again, this is fake, fraudulent, and not from us.  It was intercepted
before it could make it out onto the list.  I have heard that there are
worms circulating like this, and wanted to warn our list users... Don't
open attachments unless you are sure of the source!

For those who are interested, the message apparently entered the network
from a dialup ISP in Windsor Ontario.

Jeff Otterson
NHRC LLC