[NHRC-user] Delta-Rangr-Phoenix Programmer, Re:[NHRC-user] GE Phoenix EEPROM Programmer

Walter Carter wcarter at KVOA.com
Tue Feb 10 17:32:58 EST 2004

Hi Jeff:
I to have several Phoenix sx radios plus I program a few for the county. I
use the dreaded suitcase. It would be nice to use my laptop instead. The
software looks very easy..  What is the price??
Walt

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Humiecki [mailto:Adam.Humiecki at swgas.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 7:19 AM
To: nhrc-user at nhrc.net
Subject: RE: [NHRC-user] Delta-Rangr-Phoenix Programmer, Re:[NHRC-user] GE
Phoenix EEPROM Programmer

Hello Jeff, there are still many Phoenix radios out there in use. We have
about 300-400 in our fleet. We will replace them as the FCC-mandated narrow
band move requires but it is still years away. Also a lot of hams and
volunteer groups use this radio. I would be interested in what you come up
with for a cost. Also I was wondering how you handle 32 channel and 128
channel radios? Thanks, Adam

>>> jeff at nhrc.net 02/09/04 07:58PM >>>
Hi,

   We stopped work on our Phoenix SX programmer project in early 2002
because we were not sure we could actually sell them.  Radio programmers
and the computer software that support them are not part of our core
business, and we did not think that the market was large enough to justify
our investment.

   The NHRC-PXP (that's what we called the Phoenix SX programmer) is a
complete product, with Windows software for Phoenix SX and Phoenix SX scan
radios, and a programmer "pod" that connects to the computer via a RS-232
interface.  The pod will work standalone to duplicate radio EEPROMs without
the computer, and  can read, write, edit and save radio programs when used
with its Windows software.

   The PXP software only supports Phoenix SX and Phoenix SX scan radios.  I
suppose we could build support for other 2212 based radios if 1) we had
some and 2) we knew how to program them.  The pod can copy any 2212
regardless of data.

   You can consider this message a "fishing expedition."  We are curious
what the interest would be if we should decide to make a run of PC
boards.  How many people would buy one, and what kind of price the market
would bear.  Please be aware that we actually have a significant investment
(mostly software) in this thing, and we expect the volume to be low, which
means that it is not going to be cheap.

   Here is more information about the NHRC-PXP, including screen shots and
beta-test versions of the Windows software:
http://www.nhrc.net/nhrc-pxp/index.php
<http://www.nhrc.net/nhrc-pxp/index.php>
This web page is not indexed on our site.  Please do not link to it.

   You may reproduce this message as you see fit.

   Jeff