[Ig Nobel Events] 30th First Annual Ig Nobel Prize ceremony — Details

Marc Abrahams marc at improbable.com
Tue Aug 25 12:31:24 EDT 2020

Dear fellow Ig Nobel person:

The 30th First Annual Ig Nobel Prize ceremony will take place entirely online, on Thursday, September 17, 2020, at 6:00 pm (US eastern time).
DETAILS: <https://www.improbable.com/ig-about/the-30th-first-annual-ig-nobel-prize-ceremony/>
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020 will be the first (and hopefully *only*) year that we have held it only online.

WE ASK FOR YOUR HELP
Normally, we fund the ceremony almost entirely from ticket revenues, plus a few small amounts from generous donors. But this year there will be no theater tickets, and so no ticket revenues. Our expenses will be lower (no theater rental!), but still substantial. If you or your organization would like to help, please donate to the Ig. And maybe also subscribe to the magazine!
Where? Here: <https://www.improbable.com/donate/>

THANK YOU for being part of the Ig in years past.
I hope you will be part of it in this, our 30th year!

Sincerely and improbably,
Marc

ps.
PAPER AIRPLANES
The ceremony webcast will include many short videos, from people in many countries, each throwing a paper airplane at the camera. We will edit these together in an interesting way.

We would LOVE to include videos of people who have personal experience throwing paper planes in Sanders Theatre during Ig Nobel ceremonies.

If you would like to make an airplane-throwing video, here are some guidelines:

1. The video should be brief, no more than 10 or 15 seconds long.
2. It should show the person aiming the paper airplane, then throwing the airplane directly at the camera.
3. Please make sure that the source of light (the sun, a lamp, a window, whatever) is in front of you, not behind you.
4. The video can be in either landscape (wider than tall) orientation or portrait (taller than wide) orientation. Either orientation is fine!

It is okay to have 1 person in the video. It is also okay to have multiple people together in the video.

This is a little demonstration video we made about the paper airplanes: <https://vimeo.com/444423334>

We need these SOON. The deadline is September 1.
Send the airplane video to me at: <marc at improbable.com>

Marc Abrahams
Editor
Annals of Improbable Research
44-C Sacramento Street, Cambridge MA 02138   USA
mobile: (+1)  617-642-5476
skype: marc_abrahams
 <MARC aaattt IMPROBABLE dddooottt COM>
web site & blog & magazine & podcast & mini-AIR: <www.improbable.com <http://www.improbable.com/>>