[CPEPnews] Teacher's Nuclear Science Workshop in Oakland, California - Sunday, January 11

Howard Matis HSMatis at lbl.gov
Thu Dec 11 17:44:55 EST 2003

There  will be a half-day workshop for San Francisco Bay Area high
school and community college science teachers on Sunday, January 11,
from noon to 5:00 pm, at the Oakland Marriott City Center in downtown
Oakland. The workshop, which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of
Energy and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, will consist of
lectures by prominent researchers on modern particle and nuclear
physics, together with an introduction to Quark Matter. We have
selected speakers who are known for their ability to communicate
science to non-experts. Following the lectures there will be a round
table discussion with current and recently graduated students attending
the conference, to discuss their science education and their day-to-day
experiences as scientists. We invite the teachers workshop attendees to
the opening reception of the Quark Matter conference on Sunday evening.

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is hosting Quark Matter 2004,
http://qm2004.lbl.gov/, a large international physics conference, on
January 11-18, 2004, at the Oakland Marriott City Center. This
conference attracts leading researchers from around the world, who will
present experimental results and theoretical work discussing the state
of matter at a trillion degrees. Matter at such enormous temperatures
existed about 10 microseconds after the Big Bang and may be present
today in a neutron star's core. Perhaps we are creating it in
laboratory experiments.

The program, which includes ample time for discussion, is:
12:00 pm	Open for registration
12:30 pm	Lunch for all participants
1:30 pm	Workshop

*	From the Greek elements to modern physics – Horst Stocker, Professor
of Physics, University of Frankfurt, Germany
*	How accelerators and particle detectors work – Carl Gagliardi,
Professor of Physics, Texas A & M University
*	Particles, nuclei and the cosmos – Gary Westfall, Professor of
Physics, Michigan State University
*	The nucleus at a trillion degrees - David Morrison, Staff Scientist,
Brookhaven National Laboratory
*	Round table discussion with graduate students and recent Ph.D.'s

5:00 pm	Program concludes
6:30 pm	Quark Matter reception

We invite all Bay Area high school and community college science
teachers who are interested in this workshop to attend. Each teacher
who attends may invite one or two students whom he/she feels will
benefit from this program. Please feel free to forward a copy of this
invitation to interested colleagues. Please register early as there are
a limited number of spaces.

All participants, including invited students, must register at the
conference web site http://www.lbl.gov/nsd/qm2004/Teacher.html by
January 2. The first 50 teachers who register and attend will receive
an honorarium to cover transportation expenses. We will distribute
educational material on Nuclear Physics that you can use in your
classroom and provide a CD-ROM of the presentations.

If you need more information, please contact us. We look forward to
seeing you and your students in January.

Howard Matis
Workshop Coordinator