[Coco] XRoar and Color

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Mon Mar 18 16:09:41 EDT 2024

Montana Quiring via Coco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I setup a Recalbox on a RPi for my wife for valentines day.
> I selfishly got the TRS80CoCo part of it working, of course. ;)
> I have not done a lot of CoCo emulation in the past and mostly stuck to the
> real hardware.
> I have a few games working using Xroar. Color Baseball looks great, but I
> notice some games are in black and white (i.e. Doubleback). Is that
> because it's not doing artifacting on an LCD TV screen and requires a CRT
> TV?

You're probably bumping into this:

https://www.6809.org.uk/xroar/doc/xroar.shtml#Program-lacks-colour

If you pick an NTSC machine from Hardware -> Machine before loading your
program, it might look more as you recall it.

Then View -> Composite Rendering will let you experiment with the
different ways XRoar has of rendering composite cross-colour, from simple
LUTs to reasonably full-on simulation of the modulate/demodulate chain,
in order of CPU use.  "Simulated" might well not be fast enough on a Pi.

..ciaran