[Coco] Super Pitfall 2 — never released? Never completed? Maybe exists?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Mar 15 14:44:11 EDT 2024

In the source code printouts from the Steve Bjork estate was one titled “Super Pitfall II”. Roger Taylor spent $6700 to acquire a bunch of this from an auction, and he checked that printout and confirms even the title screen text reads Super Pitfall 2. Who knows what this is or what it was intended to be.

Super Pitfall was release for Nintendo, CoCo 3, and some Japanese system PC-88.  The PC-88 must not have been very well known, as even the Curtis Boyle games page says the game was only for NES and CoCo 3.

Activision was going to rebrand some existing game form Japan as Super Pitfall 2, but ended up not releasing it. There are videos on YouTube of this rebranded game that says Super Pitfall 2 (on NES).

This makes me wonder if Activision was going to also have it ported to the CoCo 3, for some reason. It just seems weird they would have NES and CoCo 3… Not Commodore 64 or Atari or whatever.

There is also at least one fully complete space shooter Steve Bjork showed at CoCoFest — for CoCo 1/2 — that never got sold. Maybe that will turn up. Steve had a demo disk he’d run which had a bunch of his CoCo 1/2 games on a menu and could choose the one to run. The space game was on it.

More mysteries to be discovered…

Also, Roger Taylor found some BASIC code that draws the ball from the Steve Bjork bouncing ball demo. I’ve seen the OS-9 one (which I never saw until recently) and the ball seems the same, but this demo for RS-DOS has the same ball bouncing, just without the scrolling text.
--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware