[Coco] Converting CoCo 3 to USB power

Patrick Ulland rickulland1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 08:33:09 EST 2024

The CoCo supply is more complex than you’d think. Starts easy, a
transformer rated 8 volts either side of center tap. Runs about 10 volts
under light load. Those 3 to connector.

The two (+/-) are rectified and sent to the SALT (or pepper
replacement). The salt internally regulates these to become the +/-
power rail for analog and zero crossing work – cassette, bitbanger,
joysticks. Low current supply done.

  The raw +8VDC also goes to pass transistor Q1 – what many call a
‘voltage regulator’. SALT has the 5v reference, and switches Q1 at the
right speed to keep the + side of C15 a perfect 5v, which feeds the main
5v rail.

I don’t see from this video what Bob’s done with Q1, maybe hidden under
tipped over c29? Else there are more secrets;-)

  -ricku

CoNect