[Coco] The Coco Nation News stories for Episode 346, January 13, 2024

Robert "Exile In Paradise" Murphey exile at weylan-yutani.com
Sun Jan 14 10:01:34 EST 2024

The Coco Nation News stories for Episode 346, January 13, 2024

Special Guests today:
---------------------
Another Deluxe Color Computer has been found!

Interviews schedule:
--------------------
- January 20 Henry Gernhardt of "The Break Key" YouTube channel.
  https://www.youtube.com/@thebreakkey

- February 3 (NOTE DATE CHANGE) Glen Dahlgren comes back - he has the final
book in his Chaos series coming out, and possibly some further Coco stuff
as well.
  https://mysteriumstoryworks.substack.com/p/want-a-free-copy-of-the-realm-of

Upcoming conventions/trade shows of interest to Coco people:
VCF SoCal: Feb 17-18, 2024 in Orange, California
Hotel Fera - Events Center
100 The City Drive, Orange, CA 92868
  https://vcfsocal.com/index.html

Interim Computer Festival: March 23-24.
This is a pre-announcement for a retro computer show in the Pacific
Northwest Area. Details (specifically where, etc.) will be coming later,
and registration will open in January.
  https://sdf.org/icf/

CocoFest: May 4-5, 2024 in Carol Stream, Illinois (near Chicago)
Holiday Inn & Suites
  https://www.glensideccc.com/cocofest/
Table bookings:
  https://www.tandylist.com/

BoatFest 3: June 14-16, 2024
Social Event Space
Hurricane, WV

https://www.ticketsource.us/boatfest2024/boatfest-retro-computer-expo-2024/e-raedpb

VCF SouthWest: June 14-16, 2024 (same weekend as BoatFest, and usually
has a lot of Tandy people hanging out since that is Tandy's hometown).
Davidson-Gundy Alumni Center at University of Texas - Dallas
Dallas, Texas
  https://www.vcfsw.org/

Coco 1/2/3 (and multi-platform)
-------------------------------
1) Ron Klein posted a Coco-Pi project update literally while last weeks
show was on:
  https://coco-pi.com/coco-pi-project-update-2024-01-06/

2) TRS-80 Retro Programing posted a short update to his Coco Ultimate
project, using the DRAW technique he did in his previous video:
  https://youtu.be/7-c7v3CJoe0?si=4ZbRNNXoIV5jmm0N
He released a short, no-commentary update video as well:
  https://youtu.be/T3ytD2QwziU?si=YflvTrPdnn5FYr2C

3) Coco Town released another assembly language video - his "favorite bug
so far" - The Recalcitrant VDG:
  https://youtu.be/BBoNNIKQo0o?si=gt3VucHGgSTqaJ12

4) Michael Pittsley posted a list (and then an update) of what all of the
Orchestra-90 songs on the archive are (matching to their short 8 character
filenames). The PDF is available on the Coco Facebook group:
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2359462640/posts/10161109243992641/

5) Carlos Camacho posted a photo of the cover of the Australian magazine
Electronics Australia from February 1982 - whose cover feature is the
"new" Tandy Color Computer (or TRS-80 Color Computer as we knew it in
North America at the time):
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2359462640/posts/10161106557757641/

6) David Collins posted an update to his REV3 6309 based board project:
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/6809assembly/posts/3289126611380698/

7) For those of you lucky enough to own MM/1's.. head over to the MM/1
Facebook group and participate in the poll that David Graham has put up:
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/3194643584094250/posts/4369183233306940/

8) David K on YouTube posted a video for his "So Check This Out" series,
where he goes around buying stuff from old businesses, etc.. He picked up
a steal including an old DMP-100 printer, Coco 1, games and more... for
a total of $100.00:
  https://youtu.be/qwq9btWDdzU?si=_xGCtdRVXua128ax

9) Henry (our special guest next week) released his next episode of The
Break Key on YouTube, which is part 2 of building his own ROM. This round
he starts working on polling the computer directly through the PIA's. (I
liked his visual representation of the keyboard matrix in his program,
showing the PIA):
  https://youtu.be/tQV5xztJ-7k?si=xD23LuXoawg2vyV9

10) Sad news from the Coco group on Facebook - we just found out that Kevin
Leany, one of the authors of the Novasoft / Tom Mix Software "Vegas Game
Pack" as well as the Coco 3 "Slots and Cards", passed away. We interviewed
him and his brother Doug in our "A pair of Coco Brother game developers"
episode on the old show, where Paul and Tim Thayer appeared with Doug and
Kevin Leany, helping interview each other about Coco game development:
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2359462640/posts/10161112313852641/
The interview:
  https://www.youtube.com/live/tU0aXr5gmio?si=coAynSCqueZuFAI2

MC-10
-----
1)

Dragon 32/64
------------
1)

Game On news (all Coco related platforms):
1) Jim Jewett posted on the Coco Facebook group videos of a variety of
BASIC games he did back in the day.
A Star Wars style Death star game that he did in BASIC:
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2359462640/posts/10161104515877641/
He also did a Battlezone style game as well:
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2359462640/posts/10161104490742641/
A downhill skiing game called "Slopes" in low res:
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2359462640/posts/10161104462492641/
Spacewar:
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2359462640/posts/10161104376422641/

2) Terry Steege on his Retro Tech Time channel on YouTube put up a quick
video (no commentary) to show how to get Shock Trooper running in the VCC
emulator (As per a question he received):
  https://youtu.be/eGjGm3OIscI?si=5hMMTYkweJhGSn_n

3) Jim Gerrie put up his conversion of Crazy 8's, originally by D. Kurland
in 1975. Jim warns that the AI in this one is missing a lot of the "I":
  https://youtu.be/TVB1CIZ1uR0?si=6-VygoQg-Ue_jMWH

4) Rutherford Le Blang posted a picture of him playing the Coco version of
Canyon Climber - on an RG353V running ArkOS (I think this is beta hardware?):
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2359462640/posts/10161108199157641/

5) Matt Darr posted a video of the very first BASIC game he wrote while
learning the language on his Coco; a card game called High Card:
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2359462640/posts/10161106271047641/

6) Rick Adams is working on a new Lights Out Puzzle game for the Coco 3:
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/colorcomputer/posts/895199885429078/

had a contest - Pimania - on the Dragon 32:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JElBJ6QwUoE&t=353s
In the same episode he covered a text adventure game by Rob Shaw (of Tut's
Tomb & Shock Trooper fame) called Raiders for the Dragon. As far as I know,
this one never made it to the Coco.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JElBJ6QwUoE&t=2586s

Get connected with more of the CoCo, Dragon and MC-10 community here:
    https://thecoconation.com/community/

--
Robert "Exile In Paradise" Murphey <exile at weylan-yutani.com>
Weylan-Yutani Corporation