[Coco] Cocopedia.com backups

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Thu Jan 11 17:50:29 EST 2024

On 1/11/2024 4:38 PM, Allen Huffman via Coco wrote:
> Hi folks. I host the cocopedia.com wiki, and I make regular (but probably not regular enough) backups from my webhost. I can download them as compressed files and supposedly use them to restore the site in case of a disaster.
>
> It’s been brought up often about having these sites backed up so they can live on if something were to happen to the webmaster.
>
> For 2024, I’d like to make that happen with cocopedia. In an ideal world, I’d like a solution that mirrors it, so if a server blew up, it would still be online. I do not know if that is practical.
>
> At the least, I can make the backup files FTP to a destination, regularly.
>
> I do wonder about how passwords and such are stored. As long as they are encrypted and such, I guess it’s fine. But I know alot of folks reuse passwords so I wouldn’t want to give out any data that could unlock someones bank account with the same password.
>
> That’s my main concern.
>
> Thoughts?
> --
> Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
> http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware
> http://www.PayPal.me/AllenHuffman.  http://swagbucks.com/refer/allenhuffman

Unless you need it truly mirrored under a different address, but just
need it backed up, I'd just run a cron job (I assume the web host is a
vLinux config) to rsync the entire site to another location.  I can
offer a ssh location on my area, glenside can as well (or in lieu of),
and Dennis and others can as well. Or, if you have ssh access to the web
host, rsync down to your local Linux/Windows/MacOS env nightly.

rsync -avz --delete ... is my best friend here

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com