[Coco] Plain Old Telephone (POT) Public Branch Exchange (PBX)

johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 20:55:51 EST 2024

All,

I have a table/booth at the 2024 CoCoFEST! See: https://www.tandylist.com/

It is Table 38 and it is labeled Plain Old Telephone (POT) Public Branch
Exchange (PBX).

I hope to get a simple system of some kind working. Perhaps we can build
something simple and expand on it in future years.

I may be able to build a Phone Line Simulator
https://mumris.eu/SP2.htm

Internet Search: telephone line simulator DIY
Internet Search: Telephone simulator schematic
Internet Search: Telephone line simulator DIY schematic

I also hope to borrow a small PBX with something like 8 RJ11 extensions and
2 outside lines.

We can run wires on the floor and hold them down with adhesive tape. Or you
can select a table close to me and just run the wire between or under the
tables. Be sure to bring a long enough wire. Or you can bring something over
to my table and hook it up for a time.

Write me and tell me if you need...
A dial tone, ring voltage, Touch-Tone, or pulse dialing.
An outside line.

Write me and tell me if you can bring a Bulletin Board System (or OS9
system, or Linux system) to a telephone modem, Wi-Fi, RS-232, telnet, or
ssh. Tell me if you can bring a FAX machine. Tell me if you can bring a
magicJack or some such thing. Tell me if you can bring a Pocket Tone Dialer
or Pocket Tone Dialer simulator. Tell me if you can bring a telephone. You
can bring a candlestick phone even if I can not get pulse dialing to work.
Tell me if you can bring a terminal, paper terminal, or set up your Tandy
Color Computer to be a terminal. Tell me if you can bring a POT PBX. Tell me
if you can bring a 300-baud modem or a 300/1200-baud modem.

Perhaps we can crowdfund the acquisition of a POT PBX for Glenside.

Do not be surprised if a magicJack can not reliably continue a 300-baud
connection for more than 3 minutes.

Perhaps I can do a
TI-Silent-700-direct-connect-modem-to-telephone-line-simulator-to-300-baud
modem-to-RS-232-to-ESP32-to-Wi-Fi-telnet-to-Linux BASH-to-Python3-program.

Also, I would like to see 2 or more devices working over ethernet.

John Mark Mobley