[Coco] Run VCC on Linux...in a bottle?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Feb 21 19:27:23 EST 2024

Allen,

I can't really with Allan's request for VR360 camera stuff, but I found
the video he linked to pretty fascinating (and the idea sounds great for
the fest, too - I don't know if I'll ever be able to attend one).

Then reality hit me and I said (well, after seeing the price of the
camera - which admittedly wasn't as bad as I was expecting) - what about
Linux?

Because the software for that camera will not run on Linux natively, as
always seems to be the case.

So - a bit of google magic later, I found a video that showed how it
could be run, and used, under Linux - seemingly very successfully (per
the video - and we know the internet never lies, right?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDSMTsH017U

Note that the author - in addition to running this under Linux,
apparently used a pretty beefy machine, using an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 128
GB of RAM, and dual Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060; I'm not sure how much such
a system would cost, but it's probably way out of my budget. He did
mention his small video took 7 minutes to process on such a system; I
would imagine times would be similar under native Windows - so that
camera, and the software...isn't for the faint of heart (or system).

Note that he has another video that shows how to set things up under
Linux, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjjSWS-h9fs

So...that got me to thinking about something that others may want to
explore (for me, right now, I've got other projects in the way).

The author of that video mentioned something called "Bottles" - which is
apparently something kind of like Wine - but much simpler (purported) to
use, configure, etc. I'm not sure if it would work on my current system
(which is based on Ubuntu 20.04 - and not 22.04) - but my thought was
"Could this be a better solution for running VCC?"

https://usebottles.com/

I run VCC under Wine (more accurately, under "Winetricks") - and while
it does work and work well, Winetricks isn't what I would consider
perfect. Does the job, but could be better. So after seeing "Bottles", I
thought maybe it might be worth looking into?

...and maybe others might want to try it out, too? If you do, let us
know how it goes!

Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona
phoenixgarage.org