[Coco] Countdown to CoCoFEST: T-4 Days

Jim Brain (2022-23 GCCC President) president at glensideccc.com
Tue Apr 30 20:10:23 EDT 2024

https://www.glensideccc.com/countdown-to-cocofest-t-4-days/

As a relative “noob” in the CoCo community, I was initially surprised
when CoCo discussions started comparing the the TRS80 Color Computer to
an Apple Macintosh. Community support notwithstanding, it’s patently
unfair to compare an early 1980’s 8-bit platform with a early 2000’s 32
bit one. That aside, both sides had their proponents. The discussions
touted the graphical UI and multi-tasking capabilities in the latter,
though I assumed everyone already knew the Mac sported those in spades.

After a bit, though, I realized the discussion was not about the short
lived Macintosh operating system OS 9, but the Microware real time
operating system OS-9 for the CoCo, and sometimes specifically about the
open source variant called NitrOS9. Researching, I determined OS-9
wasn’t just a multi-tasking OS, it was a true real time operating system
(RTOS), the same type of OS designers choose when stability and
guaranteed operation is a must! Now, everything from toasters to watches
have a real time multitasking OS, so OS-9 may not seem as impressive,
but it’s important to remember OS-9 on the CoCo was a thing before
Windows 1.0 even arrived and before the Macintosh had pre-emptive
multi-tasking.

Glenside welcomes all OS-9 (and NitrOS9) enthusiasts, and we typically
have at least 1 presentation each year on some aspect of the OS. This
year, L. Curtis Boyle and Ken Waters will present on the platform at
10:45 on Saturday, May 4. Below is their 2022 BASIC09 presentation:

https://youtube.com/live/bO2J-heFSu4

--
Jim Brain, 2023-24 President
Glenside Color Computer Club (GCCC)