[Coco] CoCoFEST! Telephone Network

johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 11:27:19 EDT 2024

All,

I still plan to set up a Telephone Private Branch Exchange at the CoCoFEST!
I would like to know if anyone plans to make use of it.
I think it has about 16 extensions and 4 outside lines. However, I do not
have any plans at this time to use the outside lines.

There are a number of RS-232-serial-to-Wi-Fi-to-telnet or Secure SHell (ssh)
coming out that will replace the modem. Some even work with the Hayes AT
command set. There are ESP32 Modules that can perform this function. There
is DriveWire. There is fujinet. There is PyDriveWire. And you can program a
RaspberryPi to do a serial-to-telnet connection.

I think using Wi-Fi is a better way to go because you do not have to mess
with the wires. However, having some old telephones for people to play with
might be fun for a time. So please let me know if you plan to bring
something to hook up to a plain old telephone network.

John Mark Mobley