[Coco] Invent a new way to calculate Pi

Richard Goedeken Richard at fascinationsoftware.com
Mon Sep 18 22:11:43 EDT 2023

I have a little contest that I started a few months ago amongst all my retro
computer friends, to compare the BASIC interpreter speed of all the different
8-bit computers against each other.  The Coco 3 is one of the fastest,
currently only bested by the Apple IIc accelerated to 4MHz.

The algorithm that I'm using to run the benchmark is called SPIGOT and
produces digits of Pi by using only integer math and a memory storage array.
You can find the scorecard in this Google doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Zlicfj__PcycbKEbfoiYRijUZh1dqujWPXgh6Um9YO4/edit?usp=sharing

The reference BASIC code is also on that document, in the second tab of the
spreadsheet.

Richard