[Coco] Sodering Iron

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Nov 27 17:08:34 EST 2023

On 11/27/23 14:25, Andrew via Coco wrote:
> On 11/26/23 11:18 PM, coco-request at maltedmedia.com wrote:
>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 02:53:58 +0000
>> From: tfadden <t.fadden at cox.net>
>> To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Coco] Sodering Iron
>>
>> Hey, Andrew,
>>
>> That wasn't UEI was it?  I moved here in 1970 to  go to DeVry.  Some
>> guys I roomed with went to UEI United Electronics Institute.
>
> Nope...I moved here to Phoenix, from California, in June 1991, about a
> week or so after I graduated high school. The school I went to was
> called "High Tech Institute" (yep) - the instructors I had were
> fantastic, but if I knew then what I know now - things would be far
> different for me, most likely.
>
> But then again, I'd have never had both the wonderful and
> not-so-wonderful experiences with my wife of almost 30 years now, nor
> the friends I have met along the way. I'd be posting something different
> here, too, no doubt (I believe I still would've been a part of this group).
>
> The school was a "practical hands-on" kind of place, where we had
> minimal homework (dumba** me as a teen...), but still had to know our
> books and do labs and stuff. The course was for "computer electronics",
> basically the idea was how to diagnose and repair computer faults, down
> to the component level - but by then (and our instructors were honest
> about this) things were at the "swap around boards" kind of thing.
>
> However, I picked up more than enough to learn how to read and design my
> own digital circuits - I was never really that good with the analog side
> of things; they taught that first, with the culmination being to build
> this kit AM radio, first on a "breadboard" (with brass nails! though
> only into a cardboard-type "substrate"), then you were suppose to
> transfer it, once working, to an actual PCB - but they didn't require
> that part; I left mine "as-is" - and still have it. I assume it works.
> Along the way, you learned the various RF stages for amplification and
> demodulation, then the audio amp side, etc. Had to tune the various RF
> cans using a frequency counter and signal generator; there was also some
> o-scope time (which we had learned prior to that).
>
> After that, things switched over to digital training; thru-hole ICs and
> such on breadboards at first (built something that was basically a
> manual RAM system with a counter to step thru and show the contents one
> byte at a time - at that point, I finally started to grok what a CPU
> really did - it was just basically a very fast player piano!), then
> moved on to interfacing to the ISA bus in IBM PS/2 machines, then
> finally doing a course on "industrial control", with the Amiga computer
> (the class had a bunch of Amiga 500s) standing in for the Motorola 68k,
> using Lattice C and 68k assembler, with I/O via the parallel port -
> built a crude form of "computer vision" using an 8x8 array of
> [...]

Have you ever encountered a program administered by the National
Electronics Association that Certifies Electronics Technicians?

I saw in the Norfolk NE newspaper where the local Community College was
using that test as the final exam for its 2 year course in electronics
but anybody with a $20 bill was welcome to sit for it. I was at the time
the tx super and only person keeping KXNE-TV 19 on the air for the NETV
Commission, so I was well versed in the care and feeding of the klystron
amplifiers used as high power final in UHF transmitters, which do not
work on the same principles as normal vacuum tubes. A very expensive
($125,000/copy) and now ancient history due to their poor 28% best
efficiency, better methods have since been invented.

So I walked into the classroom and plunked down a 20 to take that test,
which was a 125 question multiple choice test that got right down to the
nitty and gritty, and I had 4 hours to finish it.  I also had the
seasons flu for 1972 so I made a couple trips to the john in the 45
minutes it took me to finish the test. Handing it back to the prof who
asked if I was sure, I said that I was experienced in the physics and
that was as good as he was going to get, grade it. 5 pages of black the
circle corresponding to the right answer, he tossed it face down on his
desk, got a cuppa and opened up the answer stencil envelope and I
watched his eyebrows rise as he stared at a sea of black none of his
students in several years of teaching that coarse had done. I missed 2.
The first that actually passed that test during his tenure. So I've had
the wall certificate, and a billfold card proclaiming I am a CET, #116
in the country since. I engaged him in some idle tech conversation and
came away with the impression he was the perfect example of the Peter
Principle. I didn't think it was that hard but I also tested at 147 on
the Iowa test in the 7nth grade, and in the middle of Korea in 1952 made
a 98 on the AFQT (which got me classified 4F), took the 1st phone and
got it w/o cracking a book in 1962. That opened the door to broadcast
engineering culminating in 25 years of having the title of Chief
Engineer on my office door, the last 18.75 years at WDTV-5 here in West
Virginia. Now 89 yo, 3 years a widower, playing with linux, cnc
machinery I've built, and 3d printers and such to keep me out of the bars.

So Andrew, if you find a chance to take that test and pass it, it opens
many doors.

And that card Andrew, laid on a potential employers desk, has gotten me
the job every time it was pulled out, no exceptions.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis