[Coco] Sodering Iron

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 26 11:01:41 EST 2023

On 11/25/2023 11:47 PM, gene heskett via Coco wrote:

>               He was a postman in downtown Des Moines and his mail bag
> more often than not had a table radio under all the mail in his bag. I
> think it was 1942 when I asked what was wrong with the filter caps he
> was replacing, an he didn't know but open the door of his parts cabinet
> and showed me a 10 point list of "if it did this, replace that" format
> he'd copied out of Radio Craft,

The first repair job I did was to replace the power supply filter caps
in an (even then) antique Zenith radio that I used to listen to short
wave and radio dramas since I was about 5.  I am about to make that
same repair to that same radio even as we speak.

Compulsory soldering injury story.

I once walked in to the commo shop where I worked at Ramstein AFB,
leaned across the desk leaning on my hands and asked "what are you
doing".  The reply was "not sure but you just put your hand on the
soldering iron."  Amazing that you can't really feel something that
hot.  You usually smell it first.  Third degree burn to the palm of
my hand and shifting gears in my Fiat with my left hand for a month.

bill