[Coco] Sodering Iron

Shaun Pow spow at ispac.com
Sat Nov 25 21:17:23 EST 2023

Lots of good points.

I will say that keeping your tip well tinned is step A.  I never really
understood that when i was a teenager (40+ yr ago).

Sure, you can solder with a cheap iron if it heats up and is tinned.
However, I went through 4 or 5 cheap irons before finally buying
something of quality.   They just died - lasted a 2-3 years each.
probably not the quality of what you had.  cheap stuff from china.  so i
paid much more for cheap irons than i did for my Hakko.  It heats up
incredibly fast as well as cools down quickly. nice temp settings.  and
well within his budget.

I recently picked up a bunch of old solder irons at a nearby action.
pure copper (huge -~3/4" x ~3/4" x 2") tips on a steel shaft with a wood
handle.  very cool looking.  I assume heated in a fire/coals.