[Coco] chess

Patrick Ulland rickulland1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 18:48:52 EDT 2023

TRIGGER ALERT - kind of an ad.

Forget modems, here is a new challenge. Most CoCos with MPI (see
**below) can make real ethernet connections using a CoCoIO ($50us) and
wired connection to your cable router. Some old fashioned port
forwarding on said router allows CoCo to connect directly over a mile or
13,000. No local men in the middle.

The second compelling reason to do this is the Wiznet chip’s onboard
buffer. It is very easy for anything (other CoCo, web/game server,
chatbotAI) to drop 1 frame of ethernet to the card at 0 cost to the CoCo
CPU. Repeatedly. If your game state can be saved in <1500 bytes, free
shipping!

There are 4 sockets(channels). Assume 1 for the system (dhcp, dns…) and
1 for a PTBNL That leaves two – a shared game state, and a command/chat
channel. Every client can compare the other player’s command string to
the rules and the claimed resulting game state (serverless) or just work
from a state some game server provides. If a server supplies game state
it’s simply there on chip ‘ahead’ of the local CoCo, which peeks or
pokes the bytes it needs as it needs them.

My github* includes ‘5100HTTP.ASC’, a DECB program using entirely manual
network setup (local IP, host IP, gateway, everything) to dump the raw
source of a web page on screen. Under OS9, an early text browser ‘www’
has been up for a while, the ‘V2’ branch is a dead end but leads to the
real news, a newer MultiVue version(V3) using Henry's*  network
utilities (dhcp,dns…wget) to extend  OS9, Suddenly Basic09 a viable way
for mere mortals to do network things.

  -ricku

  * links to everyones github & more thoughts
https://computerconect.com/blogs/news

** WARNING: Protector protected CoCo do not like our product yet. This
includes 2Meg BoysonTech DAT board. News soon.