[Coco] Cross-platform editor for CoCo BASIC?

Mark mark at mcdougall.family
Tue Jan 31 23:06:17 EST 2023

On 1/02/2023 2:50 am, Allen Huffman via Coco wrote:

> I’ve seen
> at least two examples of editors that allow writing in a more modern
> looking “language” and then export to BASIC. I think one was
> Windows-only, and I don’t recall the second.

I would be interested in this too. I'm currently trying to introduce my
almost-8yo son to programming, using BASIC on the CoCo3. But after years
of using high resolution displays and modern editors, trying to program
in BASIC on the 32x16 CoCo is painful to say the least. And taking into
account line numbering as I code is a 'skill' that I haven't had to rely
on for probably 40 years now...

I wonder how difficult it would be to write a text parser (command-line
tool) that took in what is essentially CoCo BASIC but using labels
rather than line numbers and allowing free-format text and eg. block
if/then/else and output CoCo3 BASIC? Editing/pre-processing this on a
modern PC would take a lot of pain out of developing in CoCo BASIC...

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall
<http://retroports.blogspot.com.au>