[Coco] DLOAD upload program for CoCo 1/2?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Jan 29 18:57:56 EST 2023

> On Jan 27, 2023, at 7:27 AM, Patrick Ulland via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Wasn't that Classroom Teachers Distribution Unit(sic) based on DLOAD? It musta never went anywhere, find mention of one.

We had a set of networked TRS-80 Model 3s in high school, and used CLOAD for them. Everyone would type CLOAD and then I think the teacher did a CSAVE. This was Network 2 or whatever it was called in the Radio Shack catalogs, I suppose. It was available for the TRS-80s and the CoCos. That was the only time I saw it in the wild.

> I read DLOAD was in Microsoft Basic for 6502 back in 1977. This was the version JT got a perpetual license for and sold forever. Always wondered if Commodore's weird serial 'disk drive' was hacked from DLOAD.

That’s an interesting thought. I need to read through the DLOAD to understand it a bit more, and then maybe see what the protocol was on the C64s. That might very well be it. Thus, why there is no DIR — it returns the directory as if it’s a BASIC program called “$” that you load and LIST. Interesting. Very DLOAD-like!

		— A

--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware