[Coco] DLOAD upload program for CoCo 1/2?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Jan 27 00:26:47 EST 2023

On Jan 26, 2023, at 11:14 PM, Arthur Flexser via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> I seem to recall that DLOADM had a bug in it that was fixed in later versions of Color Basic.  It was, as you speculate, for ML programs.
>
> DLOAD turned out to be pretty useless in general, compared with easier ways to transfer files.  It was not even used for "educational" versions of the CoCo, though I suspect that was what it was initially designed for, to allow a teacher to transfer files between a server and a class of students.
>
> There were versions of DSAVE written for the CoCo or other host machines, but they never achieved any popularity since DLOAD never caught on.

Thanks, Art. From the link I shared, I see the document was posted here. I wonder if I saw Chamberlain's name on some title screen somewhere, as it does seem familiar but I don’t know if I knew who worked on the BASICs.

Until tonight, I thought DLOAD was only machine language, and seeing it did ASCII BASIC is interesting. It transmits the filename, so it really is like CLOAD or LOAD. Neater than I thought it was.

Also neat finding the modern work on DLOAD send commands for various platforms. This was just a rabbit hole for me, as I was writing up a blog post about something very different. I feel like I learned more about DLOAD in the past 30 minutes than I ever knew.