[Coco] DLOAD upload program for CoCo 1/2?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Jan 26 23:30:06 EST 2023

When I first got my CoCo 1, my Radio Shack salesmen (a CoCo guy) loaned me an acoustic modem he wasn’t using. I do not recall what I used for a terminal program, but maybe it was the VIDEOTEXT ROM-Pak.

I recall using the DLOAD command to download a terminal program that someone sent to me over the phone lines at 300 baud.

That may be the only time I ever used DLOAD for its intended purpose, since after I had a terminal program, I used that.

I do not remember what the upload program was called (I seem to think it was just called UPLOAD, but maybe DSAVE would have made more sense matching CLOAD/CSAVE and LOAD/SAVE).

Does anyone recall what this was, or who wrote it? I’d like to know how they knew to write it, since I don’t  know if DLOAD was even in the manual. It was not in the 1984 Extended Color BASIC manual and had been removed from the CoCo 3.

It does appear in the spiral-bound TRS-80 Color Computer Quick Reference Guide, though I think he description may be wrong since it says DLOAD was used to transfer a machine-language program at 300 or 1200 baud. From looking at the disassembly in the Unravelled book, it appears to have supported DLOAD and DLOADM, so I’d guess DLOAD was for BASIC programs and DLOADM was the one for machine language.

But I didn’t look too much in to it.

Anyone recall?

--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware