[Coco] CoCo 1/2 arrow keys versus CoCo 3 arrow keys

Rob Rosenbrock bester at adamswells.com
Sat Jan 14 15:27:16 EST 2023

> On Jan 14, 2023, at 3:13 PM, Allen Huffman via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> But, multiplayer games, even at least one from Radio Shack, did use letter keys on the keyboard, as well.  (I am thinking of the Gauntlet clones, and Rampage, specifically.)

I have a vague memory of trying to control two characters in Gantelet on one keyboard...

> The TRS-80 Model I came out in 1977 with those arrow keys. I wonder what the inspiration for it was in 1977.

The Model I was a whole host of curiosities. It was the product of one man, and Tandy didn’t think it would sell. I suspect the keys were tossed in wherever they could fit but it’s possible that it was modeled after a terminal. Since they didn’t control a cursor they could have seemed useless. Could they have just bought the board from Alps as-is? After all, the monitor was a television.