[Coco] CoCo 1/2 arrow keys versus CoCo 3 arrow keys

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Sat Jan 14 15:07:04 EST 2023

On 1/14/2023 1:14 PM, Jeff Teunissen via Coco wrote:
> There is a lot of post-hoc rationalization out there; people tend to
> think of the past as just an earlier version of the present, as if
> what we have today was somehow always going to happen. It wasn't
> inevitable.

Not sure if this is partly directed at me, but I was trying to to make
the point that clustered keys were already in wide use prior to the CoCo
1 intro.  So, it seems odd to me that they'd put the keys on opposite
sides of the KB when I don't know of any prior config anywhere like
that.  Consoles and uprights had clustered movement in the joystick,
home computers and terminals used clustered keys, and D pads and such
were yet to arrive when the CC1 was introduced.

It sounds like, though, the answer to my initial question is that games
were written with the split movement config in mind, which makes it
harder to play those games on a clustered setup.  I'd love more detail
on that, as I'm not a gamer and examples would help.

As for my "Inverted T" comment, I was just noting that folks use that
clustered format all the time, so it seems fine for games in general.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com