[Coco] CoCo 2

Robert Emery remery66 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 21:46:31 EST 2023

I am pretty much in the same boat, having been away from the CoCo scene for
a couple decades. Here's what I've found...
 CoCo DV is pretty much the only _currently_ available product that will
give you artifact colors via HDMI. The main drawbacks are that it doesn't
include audio and it doesn't work on a CoCo 3.
 I installed one in a CoCo 2 that had no working video output (early model
converted to composite-only by Tandy) and it works great! My biggest
complaint was that I kept mindlessly hitting reset because I forgot I now
have a button to control artifact colors!
 For the CoCo 3, I went to AliExpress and got a GBS-8200 for $15. Turns out
it works great for the CoCo 3 without modification... I just had to combine
the sync signals and viola!
 I even made a straight Coco 3->VGA cable, with integrated audio and
combined sync (to H-sync)
 Along with the 8200, get a VGA to HDMI adapter with audio input...  Grand
total ~$25-35 off AliExpress, probably three times that with local sources.
 HTH,
Bob (LaCoCoStrangiato on YT)