[Coco] Raspberry PI preference

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jan 12 14:38:51 EST 2023

On 1/12/23 09:34, Christopher R. Hawks via Coco wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2023 08:58:22 -0500
> gene heskett via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/12/23 01:58, Rich Mellor via Coco wrote:
>>> At the moment, the choice is more about what is available.
>>>
>>> I have experience of the Odroid C1, Banana Pi and Raspberry Pi (all
>>> various models) and it depends what you want to use them for.  The
>>> USB-OTG port on the Odroid C1 and Banana Pi are better at being
>>> used to emulate a USB printer for example in my experience.  The
>>> Raspberry Pi 4 (and the Pi Zero) were the only models of the RPi
>>> which allow you to use the USB-OTG port as a host (previously it
>>> was just used for power!).  I am not sure if the Banana Pi M5 is
>>> good for that now as the specifications do not refer to an OTG port.
>>>
>> Yes, that is how the bpi5's are powered. I'm using them for running
>> octoprint and klipper to manage a small farm of 3d printers. Neither
>> octoprint nor klipper can drive 2 printers so one per printer.
>>

> Gene:
>
>      Are you running a 'commercial' manufacturing facility?? 8^)
>
> [...]
>
> (He's probably making the 'Ruby Space Triangles' that they advertise on
> TV.)

Sorry to disappoint Chris, but no. I have designed, and carved on one of
my cnc mills, a hard maple vise screw for the woodworking crowd. I can
make the screw and a huge pile of fine sawdust in under 2 days, but with
only one small prusa mk3s printer, its close to 3 weeks to make the rest
of the assembly. So I'm building and destroying printers by feeding them
PETG, which needs 50 or 60 degrees C more heat than the usual PLA does,
so it kills hotends.

A decent BIG and LOOOONG vise screw used to be hand carved 100+ years
ago, and no one has made any new ones in about that long. I thought
maybe I'd try to fix that, But at 3 weeks a screw, I'm getting about 50
cents an hour.  I can quite likely saturate the market with 20 screws,
but somebody should try. And the only volunteer I could find was in the
mirror. Just the hard maple plank I'm cutting up to make the 20+ inch
2x2 sticks I start with was $185 for a 12 foot air dried 2x8 in native size.

The screw is a 2 start so its 2x faster and the two halves of the nut
are identical. Looks like a 6mm pitch, 4mm tall tooth, but the per turn
movement is 12mm. About 95% of the carving, all done with a 1/16" round
nosed solid carbide tool spinning about 18,000 revs. Tool is fragile so
it takes most of the time making the square stick round. And of course I
wrote the gcode that carves the stick into a screw, and I write the
OpenSCAD src text that winds up making the plastic parts on a 3d
printer. At some point, and if sales occur, and I could find a tool
changing spindle, I could do the screw rounding with a much sturdier
tool, but I'm limited in depth of cut to under half a mm per pass.

Carbon fiber tubing is very light, so the X axis stuff on all these
printers, formerly alu extrusions the Y motor has to throw around are
the speed limit for most printers, but if the X asis parts are carbon
fiber, it just lost half the weight it has to throw around. So the
rebuild plans include that.

You can find earlier pix of the assembly on my web page in the sig, but
you might have to remove the "gene" on the end of the link.

Keeps me out of the bars don'tcha know.

> Christopher R. Hawks
> HAWKSoft

Take care and stay well Christopher